Some veterans deny their consent for the letter sent to the President

New Delhi A controversy erupted on Friday over a letter written by a number of veterans to President Ram Nath Kovind as some of them denied their consent for such a move. The letter has been sent to the President Ram Nath Kovind alleging the use of the armed forces for political purposes.

The letter, which carried the names of over 150 veterans, drew attention to “the unusual and completely unacceptable practice of political leaders taking credit for military operations like cross-border strikes, and even going so far as to claim the Armed Forces to be ‘Modiji ki Sena’.”

After 200 hours of planning Indian Air force carried air strike on Balakot

Veterans have also objected to the use of pictures of Indian Air Force Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman in posters, along with the image of soldiers, in election hoardings and campaign.

In a letter dated April 11, the veterans urged the President to take “all necessary steps to urgently direct all political parties that they must forthwith desist from using the military, military uniforms or symbols, and any actions by military formations or personnel, for political purposes or to further their political agendas”.

After 200 hours of planning Indian Air force carried air strike on Balakot

Air Chief Marshal N.C. Suri and General S.F. Rodrigues said they were not among the signatories.

The two former service chiefs are among top-ranking defence officers who have denied signing this letter written to the President against the “politicisation” of the armed forces in the ongoing elections.

Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said that Suri and Rodrigues have said that they have not given their consent to this.

“It is very worrying that if people are writing fake letters and allegations are being levelled by vested groups. It is highly condemnable. It is happening at the time of elections,” Sitharaman said.

Former IAF chief Suri, one of the eight former chiefs of armed forces on the list of signatories, said he has contended that armed forces should remain apolitical, but said his consent wasn’t sought for the letter.

Rodrigues denied signing the letter and called it fake news.